What is takes to have the ultimate sleep
If there is one lesson I have learned over the last few years (and there are many) it is to make sure that my sleep is of top priority. Sleep is something that has always been sacred and healing to my well being. I have always valued my sleep and have been an early to bed, early to rise kind of girl. If all goes as planned.
Sleep is not an area you or I want to take advantage of, although many people do. Just because it is a passive experience that we have every night, doesn’t mean it is not important. There were small pockets of time growing up that I took advantage of these necessary restorative hours (studying, partying etc..), but these habits never continued into my adult years. Thankfully, I have always been a relatively good sleeper with the odd bout of not being able to fall asleep or waking up in the middle of the night, which still happens to date. This is natural and only human depending on what is going on in our lives from stress or other factors. However what I have come to realize is that there is so much we can do in the hours leading up to sleep to break some of these disruptive cycles that can negatively impact our sleep.
Within the last number of years, my knowledge and dedication to a good sleep has become even more more of a priority. How could it not with all the amazing guests Jesse and I have had the opportunity of speaking with on The Ultimate Health Podcast. The theme of sleep has become quite the topic over and over again and it never tires 😉
It is one area that most people don’t consider as important when it comes to their health. Let me just tell you that what you do the hours before bed, the state of your bedroom, what you ingest before bed and what are you sleeping on, all have an impact on how good your sleep will be. Since sleep is what I believe to be one of the core pillars of health, it’s time for you to make simple upgrades so you can have the ultimate sleep. Not just any kind of sleep, but that deeply nourishing sleep that resets your body and mind and allows you to feel energized and re-vitalized the next day.
Follow these steps, and you’ll be set!
Your bed time matters
Go to bed at the same time every night, even on weekends. We are like infants and need to follow a sleep schedule in order to get back in balance with our natural circadian rhythms. The more on schedule our sleep time is, the more habitual your sleep routine will become. Find that window of time at night when you actually get tired, which could be between 9:30-11:30 and try and find the sweet spot, 10:30 pm to go to sleep. From here ideally somewhere between 6-8 hours is what our body needs for a good nights rest, but everyone is different.
Just listen to what these amazing guests have had to say about sleep…
Create a healthy evening routine
These can all be done in the hours before bed. After dinner, start to create and atmosphere at home that is conducive to a good nights rest. Take some of these tips to implement at home.
- Diffuse essential oils (lavender, cinnamon, ylang ylang)
- Take an epsom salt bath
- Drink calming teas (chamomile, passion flour, lavender, reishi)
- Listen to soothing music
- Use magnesium (as an oil, spray or capsule)
- Dim lights in the house (use salt lamp or red LED) or invest in blue blocker glasses
- Meditate (listen to a guided meditation or do deep breathing or try MUSE)
Create a sleep sanctuary in your bedroom
These are things that you can do inside your bedroom to make your sleep extra special. These simple changes can make a world a difference to how comfortable you are at night to how deeply you rest. Consider all the options below especially the quality of your bedding!
- Invest in black out blinds
- Wear a sleep mask
- Remove electronics like TV, laptop and cellphones
- Sleep on organic bedding with good pillows
I am going to stop here as this is such an important one. Your sleep is only as good as what you are sleeping on. When I first made the switch years ago to organic bedding, I can’t even begin to describe the difference this created in my sleep. I had learned about the negative effects of box springs and opted for a low profile bed frame to hold my organic mattress. I made sure I invested in a mattress that met all the standards and critiria I was looking for. We are grateful to be in a time when there are good options available to make these upgrades at home accessible. Companies like Dormio Organic Beds actually have it all. It’s a one stop shop for mattress, pillows, duvets, sheets and more. When it comes to your bedding it’s worth every penny invest and make the upgrade for a better sleep. When you think about it, you are spending at least 6-8 hours a day in your bed, so why wouldn’t you want it to be the best possible quality. Here are some of standards that Dormio has set for the quality of their products:
- Safety from VOCs – that means no flame retardants which leading brand mattress have plenty of!
- Free of chemicals like Xenoestrogens which can disrupt hormones and have a negative impact on your health.
- Temperature control. Wool is used in mattresses which is geared towards body heat. Nobody likes to be hot when they sleep, this can lead to restlessness and waking in the middle hours of the night.
- Dust mite resistance. Latex and wool is used as the main materials. Most people suffer from allergies in their own bedding. It’s so important to make sure that the materials are resistant to ever present dust, which is everywhere! Especially on your pillows.
- Natural mold resistance. The use of latex keeps mattresses 100% clean. We sweat and excrete water at night and most bedding harbours bacteria which can create mold, right in your own bed.
- Durability. The use of DUNLOP latex has proven to last 20-30 years without compression or loss in comfort. When you make the change to an organic mattress you are also choosing comfort, I have never had a more comfortable sleep them my current mattress upgrade.
- Customization. Each layer can be customized to your preference in density giving you 100% control of the feel of your mattress. Whether you like a bed that is firm or soft, you can choose accordingly.
- Post purchase tweaks. Dormio mattresses are modular and designed with a zipper allowing you to change the combination at any time.
- Pillows. Dormio offers zippered pillows giving the customer complete control of desired loft.
I also just got a set of charcoal sheets (as you can see in the pic above) from Dormio and I am in heaven. I’ve had organic sheets before but these are amazing! Be sure to add a Terra Nova sheet set in the colour of your choice to your order! Or go to the store directly to see them all in the flesh. In addition, it was also time for a new organic pillow as my last pillow was a rubber one and it was almost 7 years old. This time I opted for alpaca wool and it is just the right cushiness for my head and neck and I have been having the best sleeps ever since this upgrade.
I can assure you, if you have skimped on your bedding or haven’t made sure the quality of materials is a priority in your bedroom, now is the time!
To find out more about Dormio follow this link.
I hope you take on some of these tips to upgrade your sleep. Remember, sleep is a part of your day – just because you are not conscious for it doesn’t mean it’s not relevant or affecting your health in ways you may not even realize. Take some simple steps and up your routine at night!
Get more ideas on how to upgrade your bedroom and health at home in this episode with Meghan Telpner and Josh Gitalis on The Ultimate Health Podcast!