Spring has sprung – it’s salad time!
If you think your salad requires lettuce, think again. Some of the best salads that I have had to date are completely lettuce free. It’s a nice change! Not only does it allow you to focus on new ingredients but also gives you a chance to explore new textures and colours.
In celebration of spring today, I decided to feature one of my most favourite salad recipes during this time of year. It has apples and fennel as the base. These two crispy and crunchy plants compliment each other so well. You have the sweet or sourness from your apples (depending on the type you choose). Along with the sweet deep flavours of fennel. They are both hard and crunchy – so as you can imagine, prepare for lots of chewing with this one!
If you are hesitant on Fennel and it’s new to your repertoire , listen up! I used to hate the taste of black liquorice growing up – so I thought that fennel would not be something I would ever touch. However once I learned all the healing and health boosting benefits of this unique veggie, I fell in love! Fennel is great for so many health reasons, but here are just a few reasons why it’s so good for your gut. It is spring after all – so it’s time to cleanse and get your tubes in check 🙂
- Helps with indigestion
- Helps with constipation
- Normalizes diarrhea
- Helps with bad breath (which is related to your gut)
This simple salad is finished with a light dressing of olive oil lemon juice, honey and sea salt. It’s always good to add a little lemon to anything that has sliced apple in it as it prevents them from turning brown (oxidizing). Thyme helps to bring in the fresh flavours of spring. As if this salad doesn’t have enough crunch, hazelnuts or any nut of choice can be added for additional protein and healthy fat.
Serving this salad on it’s own works, but if you want to get your green on, layer it on top of some spinach or arugula for a well rounded meal.
If this salad inspired you with anything, I hope it inspired you to think beyond the lettuce and to get creative this spring!
Apple Fennel Salad with Thyme
2 cups fennel, thinly sliced
2 cups green apple, thinly julienned
How It’s Made!
1.To julienne apple and fennel, slice thinly in one direc on and then slice in opposite direc on to create matchs cks, or use a mandolin on a thin slice se ng
2. In a medium size bowl, toss together all salad ingredients except hazelnuts. Let marinate at room temperature up to 4 hours. Top with hazelnuts just before serving.
Get more Spring-Salad Inspiration from these other amazing nutritionists and bloggers!”
- Aleyda (The Dish On Healthy) – Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
- Jordana Hart (ihartnutrition) – Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Julie Daniluk- Hot Detox Beet Bop Salad
- Joy McCarthy (Joyous Health) – Spring Inspired Detox Salad
- Marni Wasserman – Zesty Apple Fennel Salad
- Marta (Organic Food For Kids) – Spring Asparagus & Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Meghan Telpner – Wild Rice Protein Salad
- Rachel Bies (The Healthy Bies) – Sour Cabbage & Fennel Salad
- Rachel Molenda – Dandelion Citrus Salad
- Samantha Gladish (Holistic Wellness) – Tuscan Kale & Apple Salad
- Sisley Killam (The Pure Life) – Sweet Potato Arugula Quinoa Salad