Here are some tips that will help you get through the holidays. Thanks Innocent Indulgence for the great ideas!!
1. Set a goal of maintaining your weight and/or size during the holidays, of course you don’t want to gain wait but also don’t try and go on a diet! Be realistic.
2. Be sure that you are drinking lots of water or herbal tea during the day. Drinking water will keep you feeling full longer and will help you stay healthier during the holidays.
3. By starting your day off with a great breakfast. You will be less likely to fill up on holiday treats later. Also, you can balance what you plan on eating later and indulge in moderation on foods that you would like to enjoy later in the day. Nutritious breakfast ideas include: smoothie, green juice, fruit and whole grain toast or cereals.
4. Plan what you are going to eat ahead of time at holiday parties. By preparing yourself, you will be less likely to eat everything in sight when you see the spread. Start by limiting yourself to only one plate of food. Also, try eating a small healthy meal or snack before you go, so you won’t be as hungry at the party. Eating celery, drinking a green juice or having something hearty like hummus helps to satisfy cravings.
5. Be a sweetie and bring a dish or a snack. Not only will you contribute to the spread, but you will bring your favorite “healthy version” of the treats, share the goodness and ensure that there will be at least one nutritious option.
6. Keep your body moving! It doesn’t mean you have to start training for a marathon, but this a perfect time of year to connect with friends and family and play games outside, go for a walk or jog, ice skate, join a gym, or even start home workout videos.
7. Take time for yourself! The holidays are a busy time of year and can be very stressful. Take at least 5 minutes every day for yourself. Sit or lay down, clear your mind, relax and just breathe and enjoy the true meaning of the season.
8. Watch your intake of calories from beverages. During this time of year, many will be drinking lattes, hot chocolate, hot cider, and alcohol. All are loaded with empty calories which mean they don’t have a whole lot of nutritional value. Empty calories can lead to weight gain, especially when paired with all of the other holiday goodies. Try these versions of hot chocolate and Chai lattes and indulge without guilt!
9. Cookie platters and exchanges seem to make great gifts, but they also tempt you to nibble continuously. Instead of keeping them out on the counter, place them in a glass container and freeze them or give them to someone else as a gift! Or make these delectable cookies or Vegan Chewy Chocolate Brownies for your holiday party.
10. When you are eating holiday treats, enjoy them. When you decide you want a piece of pumpkin pie or a couple ginger bread cookies, choose a reasonable portion, sit down and enjoying every bite and don’t feel guilty. It is the holidays and they only come once a year!
If you’re still looking for holiday gifts or a way to pave the path to a healthy new year, book healthy cooking classes with us. Classes are up to 40% off for only a few more weeks. So don’t miss out! Check out the many discounted classes and packages here.
Enjoy a very special and healthy holidays!
Credit for this post and these tips were so fabulously inspired by Innocent Indulgence, namely Alisha Chasey (owner) and Rachel P (intern at ASU). My favourite dessert company in Arizona! Wish they were local!
I am in a great mood this week and I feel like giving away goodies…gluten free ones, I might add. Not only is Gluten Free the theme of my week – as it will be featured in my article this week in Chatelaine on Friday but my class on Thursday night is also Gluten Free (2 spots left might I mention).
I also want to take this opportunity to feature a product line that I so truly value and appreciate, Sweets from the Earth. They are everywhere, I bet you have even tried or at least seen there cookies or cakes somewhere in the city of Toronto (or Canada?). They a family run business that focuses on quality desserts that are made with love and no dairy, eggs some with no wheat and more recently no nuts in some of their goodies and no gluten in others. In fact, they have two separate facilities to adhere to these strict and common allergens to gluten and nuts. This is truly where the market is going. More and more people are gluten intolerant, with true sensitives to the protein found in wheat called gluten. This can be a difficult and devastating occurrence when diagnosed. Some people go through life with it, and some people have just figured it out!
It may seem daunting like there is nothing to eat. I think that even before people get worried about what breads and pastas they can’t eat – they think that they will never see a cookie, cake or square ever again? Well that is not true. Not only are there thousands of recipes to be found in my cooking classes, books and online – especially right here on my blog - that are gluten-free friendly, but there are incredible products such as those from Sweets From the Earth that take pride in making delicious desserts that are free of gluten but not of flavour. P.S. you don’t have to have have an intolerance to gluten or be vegan to enjoy these desserts – they can be enjoyed by all. Also note that their gluten free items are not necessarily nut free!
You will not only be less bloated after eating one of their decadent sweets but you will feel good knowing that you can enjoy a perfectly healthy dessert that resembles and if not takes over the “traditional” version.
All that being said, Sweets from the Earth has been kind enough to put together an incredible Gift Basket for ONE lucky winner that MUST live in TORONTO. This basket will feature some of Sweets from the Earth most delicious gluten free goodies.
In order to win and to be valid – you must live in Canada.
You need to tell me why you would benefit from this amazing gift basket.
Are you gluten free? Do you have Celiac disease? Have you been missing out on sweets?
Please share your story here and which ever one touches me and Sweets from the Earth the most will get a special package in the mail!
Share on Twitter and link back to this blog
Share on Facebook and link back to this blog
The newest addition to my pantry is my trio of NUDE BEE HONEY’s. This line came out in Toronto by two local boys. I love it. What is sexier then two men starting a honey line?
This brand in particular has some fine packaging, with a slick black label. It is a long tall jar, which is thin and elegant. I would take this honey out for a taste any day of the week. I would even love to just spread it, pour it and blend it into anything I create. It would make for a sweet addition that is smooth balanced and rich. That’s my kind of honey!
I should also mention that is honey, is untouched, raw in it’s own virgin state. What can be better than that. It hasn’t lost anything; it’s got everything it needs to give me what I need. Nutrients, enzymes, minerals and an unparalleled flavour.
It is also organic, coming from the purest of sources, no chemicals or strong or smelly aftertastes. It was created to be enjoyed… from bottom to top.
Now don’t get too picky, there are three fine honey’s to choose from:
Star Thistle – Works well with all natural of teas and can dress or top any dessert. This superstar possesses after notes of vanilla and lemon.
Honey Dew – This is a darker richer honey, which means it contains more vitamins and minerals. It is rich and fragrant so get your hands on some and add it to some fruit for a warming compote or natural jam.
Wild– The most versatile of the bunch, blending different local nectar’s. This honey goes both ways, and lends itself well to both raw and cooked recipes.
You can’t go wrong really – they all share similar qualities with subtle differences. I think you will be satisfied, no matter which way you go!
Take your honey a little further and use it to your benefit and create something magical together…. a recipe!
Feel free to pour your honey all over anything and everything that you are eating!
Wild Honey-Lemon Poppy Loaf
4 cups light spelt flour
1 cup Wild Nude Bee Honey
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup poppyseeds
zest of 2 lemons
3 lemons, juiced
½ cup vanilla rice milk
½ cup grapeseed oil
1 tsp pure vanilla
½ cup filtered water
1. oil and flour a 9x 5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. Stir together spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt poppy seeds and lemon zest. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, honey with rice milk. Add to the dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
4. Add grapeseed oil, vanilla and water to dry ingredients. Mix wet and dry ingredients together thoroughly.
5. Pour the batter into loaf pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Photography by Assaf Friedman