Hot summer days beg for cool and refreshing drinks. They just go hand in hand. And when the sun is beaming, it’s vital that you’re properly hydrated. Sometimes you actually don’t even realize you’re thirsty until a big glass pitcher filled with water and lemon is put in front of you.
But this is not always the choice people make to quench their thirst. Unfortunately, juices, sodas, lattes and other
high sugared, empty calorie drinks filled with artificial flavors, and even aspartame, are just too readily available.
If you want to curb this completely, get a hold of a just a few simple ingredients to make your own homemade summer refreshments.
Here are a few reasons why:
- They are refreshing, easy and can be kept in your fridge
- They will be full of natural ingredients and flavors (choose from either steeping some herbal tea and chilling it, adding mint, lemon, honey, or ginger)
- Fruits such as oranges, lemons and limes slices added to water make an amazingly simple drink. You can even put this into your water bottle for when you are on the go.
Here is what to avoid and how to change things up!
- Colors from sports drinks or juices. They are full of artificial dyes and other preservatives. Instead choose drinks that are 100% natural from fruit or use your own fruit juices or purees!
- Fizzy beverages such as sodas. Not only are they filled with calories and syrups, but they can actually dehydrate you. Choose filtered, flat or spring water instead and add in mint or ginger for something refreshing and different.
- Added sugars (such as glucose, fructose, corn syrup) which just means added empty calories! Use natural sweeteners if necessary such as honey, maple syrup or from fruit.
- Cream or milk based beverages are loaded with fat and often sugar. If you are feeling like something thick and creamy, make a smoothie or have one made with pure ingredients.
It’s easy to avoid unnecessary sugars, fats, and chemicals – it just takes a little planning. Check out this refreshing recipe for Pink Ginger Lemonade to keep you feeling fresh and cool!
Pink Ginger Lemonade
What You Need:
- 2 tbsp fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp ginger, minced
- 1 lemon freshly squeezed
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp raw honey
How It’s Made:
- Soak berries for 4-8 hours in 2 cups of pure or filtered water (with ginger)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
Need a little help in creating fresh summer drinks, or just want to learn the benefits of new delicious recipes? Then, quench your thirst with me this July!
3 Responses to “Refreshing, Summer Drinks!”
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!