There’s nothing like spending your summer afternoons or evenings among friends devouring some delicious food. Whether it’s a potluck, barbeque, patio party or just an excuse to get together on a summer day – you want your dish to be the life of the party! Don’t spoil it by bringing something that isn’t vibrant with colour, flavor, and texture. You don’t need to “give in” when it comes to eating summer favourites; in fact it’s your chance to take advantage of local produce and make something that will have everyone begging for more!
Here are some tips of what not to bring to your next party:
- Trays or platters with cheeses and dips loaded with calories
- Bags of potato chips, loaded with sodium and fat
- Soda pop or fruit juices loaded with sugar
- Coleslaw salad loaded with mayonnaise or a creamy dressing
Try making this tasty Quinoa Tabbouleh for your next summer party!
Yield: Approx 2-3 cups
Quinoa is a light dish that is easy to digest. It makes a delicious and wholesome summer lunch, snack or side dish with dinner.
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1 large cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 bunch of spinach, finely chopped into shreds*
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves or quarters
* grab a bunch of spinach leaves together and thinly slice into medium or long shreds depending on size of spinach leaves.
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tsp dry or fresh basil
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Bring 3 cups water to boil. Add rinsed quinoa and cook on medium for 15 min.
2. Drain, rinse with cold water. Spread out on a plate to dry the grains. Then place into a bowl and combine with chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, parsley and mint.
3. Mix dressing and toss into the quinoa mixture, and gently stir from the bottom up.
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!