Okay I know, I know, it’s just one day and it is a holiday that kids look forward to all year long. I don’t mean to be the gringe of Halloween but there is definitely a way around this holiday and there are things that you can do to “manipulate” and even avoid the sugar surge that will overwhelm your kids tonight.
You may have all your plans in place this year, but maybe I can convince you otherwise. At the very least take some notes and put one of these in place next October!
1. Host your own Halloween party – invite all your kids friends over in costume, make some treats of your own cakes, cookies and put out bowls of “healthy” candy. This way, at least your kids will be sucking on fruit juice as oppose to high fructose corn syrup. Try these natural options for candy: Pure Fun, Yummy Earth, or Surf Sweets. These are all divine and decadent choices and no one will even notice the difference!
2. Have a Halloween cooking class - invite both your kids friends and parents over and make and create some delectable and delicious treats together. Your kids won’t even notice what’s going on outside. Make these gooey chocolate pudding pops! (see below) or make some pea-licious muffins with green pea flour for a green goblin look to your muffins without food colouring! Or let me host a class for you!
4. Take your kids to a youth shelter or rehab center where kids who don’t get the chance to experience Halloween reside. Bring them some homemade muffins or cookies. This may show your kids that not everyone celebrates Halloween – and maybe they will learn a valuable lesson.
5. If you truly don’t think any of these points are valid and you are still going to trick or treat tonight. Go for it, but what I suggest is that when you return home with your “reusable” bag full of candy pick 5 things that your child absolutely wants to have and give away or dump the rest.
Cacao Coconut Goop Pops
2 cups *coconut custard (recipe below)
1/4 cup Navitas Naturals cacao powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
1. Blend coconut custard, cacao, maple syrup and vanilla in high speed blender for 2 minutes. Then pour evenly into ONYX stainless steel Popsicle tray (an incredible kitchen gadget, no plastic, no mess)
2. Place into freezer for 2-4 hours.
3. Place under running water for 30 seconds, twist and pull your goop pop out!
4. Lick and enjoy!
Sprinkle with cacao nibs, coconut, goji berries
3 ½ cups coconut milk
2 tablespoons agar flakes
½ cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon kuzu
½ cup water
2 tablespoons maple crystals/sugar
1. Bring coconut milk and agar to a boil in heavy saucepan. Simmer, covered for about 5 minutes
or until the agar is completely dissolved.
2. Add maple syrup and stir until well mixed
3. Dissolve kuzu in water until there are no lumps. Add coconut milk mixture and simmer until
4. Oil a large glass dish and sprinkle with maple crystals if desired.
5. Pour coconut milk mixture into dish and refrigerate for 30+ min and serve.
Best Halloween Ever!
What do you think…are you going to try one of these options this year or next?
Or make these divine cacao pops?
What’s your favourite thing to make on halloween?
What can you do to make your Halloween fun and healthy this year?
Tweet : I am going to make @marniwasserman cacao goop pops – they look delicious! #cacao #treat #halloween
2 Responses to “Treat yourself to some Goop Pops!”
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!