September 11, 2008
In my recent Yummy cooking class that focused on Kid-Friendly recipes, the menu was designed with simplicity and creativity in mind.
Kids like to see what they eat, they like bright colours and sometimes different textures (depending on how fussy they are!!).
So when you are creating recipes for yourself or your children or any child for that matter it is always best to make the recipes full of colour and of course full of flavour.
It is important to get your kids involved in the making of simple recipes, because then they see what is going into it and if they have a part of it, they are more likely to eat it too!
So get creative in the kitchen and have fun!
Chunky Corn and Tomato Salsa
2 ears of summer fresh corn
1 tbsp grapseed oil
2 cloves of garlic
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 pint of tomatillos (green tomatoes)
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 green onions
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 tsp honey
salt to taste
1. Shave the corn kernals off the ear of corn over a bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, warm up the oil with the garlic for a few minutes, add the corn kernals and red onion.
3. Sautee for 5-10 minutes until kernal turn bright yellow and onions are soft.
4. In a small food processor, lightly puree the chopped tomatoes and tomatillos (so that they are still chunky).
5. Combine the tomato/tomatillo puree to the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
6. Simmer on low heat for another 5-10 minutes until all the flavours are combined.
7. Put Salsa into the fridge in a glass bowl for a few hours to chill.
8. Remove from Fridge and serve with Corn Chips or on top Sprouted Quesadillas!
2 Responses to “Get Creative and Make Food Fun!”
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!