July 26, 2008
Wouldn’t it be nice to sit down to a bowl of delicious granola in the morning knowing you made it and that it tasted better than anything you bought in a store….well you can.
You could have come to my Breakfast Cooking Class to learn how, or you could simply find a recipe that suits your needs to make a batch of this golden toasted goodness.
But I will give you some quick tips to get started with.
First of all get yourself some good quality organic whole rolled oats. This will be your basis and substance to the recipe. Use sweeteners such as maple syrup, agave nectar, honey. Oils such as sunflower oil, coconut oil or organic canola oil. Then comes the fun part adding such things as almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, apricots, raisins, goji berries….whatever you want! It’s yours to enjoy. Just store it in a glass jar and it will keep for a good couple of months.
So really it is that easy to make granola at home. Then you don’t have to worry that it is loaded with trans fats, processed sugars and other preservatives.
Golden Morning Granola
4 cups rolled oats
¼ cup coconut or canola oil
¾ cup pure organic maple syrup
1 tbsp rice milk
1 ½ cup oat bran or quinoa flakes
¾ cups sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup coconut flakes
¼ cup flax seeds
1 cup of chopped almonds
1 tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups raisin, apricots or cranberries
- Combine maple syrup, rice milk and coconut oil in a large saucepan and set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl, except raisins, and toss well.
- Add the oil maple mixture and stir together really well.
- Pour mixture into shallow pan or baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes, stir and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in raisins.
- Cool and store in air tight container.
- Serve in ½ cup portions and serve with rice or almond milk, or add into a cup of yogurt.
Watch Marni make Granola!
4 Responses to “Homemade Granola Goodness”
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!